3.04.2005

Multitasking

The whole being a mom thing hasn't been too nice to my knitting schedule recently. John hates sleep and has been on a crazy growth spurt and wants to eat all day. He's not too much into solids yet, so this means I'm on call 24-7 as a milk machine. I can't knit while nursing, but I sure can shop online! Hopefully John will stop needing so much milk so my budget can have a rest.

I ordered some Cotton-Ease in orangeade, because I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've been to more Michael's and Hobby Lobby stores than I care to admit in the last week and they've all been taken over by fun fur. Cotton-Ease is one of the better Lion Brand yarns, in my opinion, and very useful for baby clothing. Despite the very bright and rather limited color palette, it's a great substitute for All Seasons Cotton when you know the sweater is going to end up covered in strained peas and spend half its useable life in the laundry.

Seeing as how my parents are coming to visit soon, I figured I should get some sewing projects going. My mom still puts in zippers for me because I am really bad at them. I have four spring skirts in the works that need zippers, but that won't keep us busy for the week. So I bought some Amy Butler patterns. I love Amy Butler's stuff so much! Check out Art of the Midwest to see her fabrics and patterns! I bought four bag patterns (chelsea, nappy, rural messenger and swing), an apron pattern and a throw pattern. Seeing as how this sort of blew my crafting budget for a while, my mom is bringing the fabric.

Side note: My mom's enormous fabric stash has been steadily growing since she and my Dad got married. They got married the weekend of Woodstock. Really. Except they weren't hippies and they'd already bought a house even though my mom was straight out of high school. I may live in a wool house but my mom lives in a calico house and she has plenty to spare. I can live off her fabric stash for years to come.

I have been knitting some, with the Sockapalooza deadline looming. Two and a half diamonds and a toe. The end is in sight! Once that and the secret design project are finished, I'm going to have a huge house cleaning extravaganza and then I'll be ready for a week of grandparents spoiling John while I knit and sew.

4 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Beatutiful bags, thanks for the awesome info! Uh oh, I may have to blow my yarn budget on fabric and patterns now, look what you got me into, haha j/k =)
Thanks!

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't find cotton-ease here in Canada at all and I wish I could.My son was the same when it came to feeding,I didn't think he would ever stop.thankfully he did but babies can be so demanding,maybe even more then husbands lol
cara
earth mother

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

Michaels stopped carrying Cotton Ease last summer, but Joann typically has a good selection (still not all the colors you can see online, but still). Would you mind bringing the new Rowan to the Meetup on Tues, if you're coming? I would love to page through it, I promise I'll wash my hands first!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger jen said...

Brynne ... FYI: I was just oogling cotton-ease at Hancock Fabrics today (on about 88th and Wadsworth) ... they have a pretty good selection, lots of colors, and enough for full garments ... just thought I'd share! Jenifer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home